Energy Insights Predicts Climate Change Issues to Drive Increased Tech Investment in 2008
FRAMINGHAM, MA – JANUARY 8, 2008 – Leading independent research and advisory firm, Energy Insights, an IDC company, today announced the release of its annual Worldwide Energy Industry 2008 Top 10 Predictions. According to this new study, climate-focused energy policies, consumer and business concern with climate change, and increasing attention by investors in sustainability will drive energy companies to increase their investments in a range of energy and information technologies including:
* IT systems to measure and manage a company’s carbon footprint
* Software applications to enable participation in carbon trading markets
* Renewable energy technologies, especially wind, but also central solar
* Technologies such as in-home displays that enable energy efficiency programs.
"In an environment of increasing energy demand, rising and volatile energy prices, and policymaker concern over energy independence and security, we predict that energy companies will increase their technology investments to enable initiatives from smart metering and the intelligent grid to enhanced reservoir characterization and higher fidelity seismic imaging," said Rick Nicholson, vice president of Research, Energy Insights.
Key predictions presented and analyzed in this study include:
* Intelligent grid initiatives will leverage existing investments and target specific problem areas
* Renewable energy will compete as a leading source of new electrical capacity in the U.S.
* Carbon trading markets will begin to take off in North America, eventually surpassing Europe
* High performance computing will be driven to technical limits by seismic processing demands.
To assist energy companies and the vendors that serve this market, Energy Insights annually identifies the top trends that will heavily influence the direction and magnitude of technology investment, management, and evaluation. Energy Insights will discuss these trends in a complimentary Webcast, to be held January 10, 2008. To register for this event, visit http://www.idc.com/getdoc.jsp?containerId=IDC_P16736 or contact Deborah Stark at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To arrange a one-on-one briefing with Rick Nicholson, or other senior analysts at Energy Insights, contact Sarah Murray at 781-794-3214 or email@example.com. In addition, three other Top 10 Predictions reports (Worldwide Oil & Gas Industry, North American Utility Industry, European Utility Industry) are available to qualified members of the media. For more information on obtaining or purchasing these reports, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Energy Insights, an IDC Company
Energy Insights is based in Framingham, MA and operates throughout the world utilizing IDC's network of global facilities. Our focus is to provide strategic business technology and application advice for the energy industry. IDC is the foremost global market intelligence and advisory firm with more than 900 analysts spanning over 90 countries. IDC forecasts worldwide markets and trends to deliver dependable service and client advice. IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading IT media, research, and exposition company. For more information, go to www.energy-insights.com .